Thursday, June 14, 2012

Community Supported Agriculture

Does anyone belong to a CSA?  We have considered joining in past years, but this year we finally did it when I found that Caldwell has one.  If you don't know what it is, you buy a share which is basically an investment in a local farm.  Every week throughout the summer and into the fall, we get a shipment of farm fresh produce.  Our produce comes from Starbrite Farm, which is a certified organic farm in Andover, NJ.

This week was our first shipment.  We ended up with two bags full of beautiful veggies.  I made a stir fry last night using garlic scapes (which are the flower stalks of garlic - they are kind of like scallions, but more garlicky and my hands still smell like them today after multiple hand washings), bok choy, mustard greens and radishes.  I never used three of those four ingredients before!

garlic scapes

I feel a little under the gun to use up all of this produce before it goes bad. But I'm very excited about it, and I'm glad that the kiddies are going to be getting organic veggies all summer!  And we're helping out a local farmer, which is always good.

No comments:

Post a Comment