Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Sleep study

Zadie had her third sleep study a few weeks ago.  I went with her this time and it was all pretty uneventful, which was nice (unlike her first one, which I went to with her, and her second one, which BJ went to with her because Beatrix was three days old).  I was very nervous leading up to it, since she's 3 now and has tons of attitude and getting her to do anything she doesn't want to do is difficult.  I also thought she'd be upset going to the hospital, getting the hospital bracelet on, etc, after her rough time after the tonsillectomy.  But, she took just about everything in stride.  The tech attaching her leads was great and had the perfect personality and really engaged Zadie.  And the other tech came up with a paper doll book from somewhere which Zadie loved and kept her occupied.  She barely cried at all, in fact!  She started off snoring pretty significantly, but after the tech and I adjusted her position a couple of times, she settled down and had a fairly restful night.  She woke up whimpering a few times, but that was about it.

Waiting to get started

Stacking rolls of tape

New habit...chewing on her finger


Happy!

Bunny ears

Nasal cannula was the tough part last time...this time the tech told her that since she had the bunny ears, she needed whiskers like a bunny!  It worked!


The tech told her she had to squeeze her nose anytime it itched (rather than rubbing it and possibly messing up the cannula)


The next week, I talked to the nurse from the ENT's office.  She said Dr. Javia was very pleased with the results!  I couldn't believe it!  I never expected her to say that.  She said that her AHI (apnea hypopnea index) was 1.8!  The last study, it was 75!  Unbelievable improvement.  I'm not sure we can thank the tonsillectomy totally for that, but it just might be that all that pain and suffering actually accomplished something for her.  The nurse told me that Dr. Javia wanted Zadie to have a consultation with the doctor from the sleep lab to see if he agreed that the numbers were good enough for decannulation!  I still can't even believe that this conversation is happening.  I'm still trying not to get my hopes up too high, but it's hard not to.  We're going to meet with the pulmonologist tomorrow and we'll see what he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment